EXPLORE THE DIFFERENT PRESENTATIONS I OFFER
WHAT MY TYPICAL SCHOOL VISIT IS LIKE
HOW TO MAKE MY VIRTUAL VISIT A SUCCESS
I LOVE SCHOOL VISITS. MY BOOKS COVER THE GAMUT OF AGES AND MY PRESENTATIONS ARE FUN AND INTERACTIVE (INCLUDING LIVE DRAWING!) TAILORED TO AUDIENCES AT EACH KEYSTAGE LEVEL. I HAVE ADAPTED SOME OF MY SCHOOL VISIT LECTURES TO APPEAL TO ADULT AUDIENCES. I HAVE ALSO BEEN INVITED TO SPEAK ON A RANGE OF SUBJECTS – MY EXPERIENCES AS A JOURNALIST, HOW TO GET PUBLISHED, SOCIAL MEDIA FOR AUTHORS, READING FOR PLEASURE, AND MANY MORE.
I tell the story of how I became a writer using The Hero’s Journey as a structure. The Hero’s Journey is a fundamental pattern found in the greatest narratives - from classic Greek mythology to Star Wars! I illustrate each step of the Hero’s Journey with familiar images from Star Wars to The Incredibles, at the same time talking about my own journey from a child growing up under a third world dictatorship to becoming a children’s author in England.
45 minutes. Year 5 to Adult audiences
WHAT IS YOUR SCHOOL VISIT LIKE?
I SPEAK TO ANY SIZE AUDIENCE
I am just as comfortable speaking to a single class as I am speaking to the entire school, if you have the space. Please provide me with a microphone for large audiences as my lungs are not quite as robust as a teacher's yet.
VIRTUAL SCHOOL VISITS
Yes! I do virtual school visits to anywhere in the world. Apply on the form.
MY TYPICAL SCHOOL VISIT WILL INCLUDE TWO SESSIONS
You can choose to have me do the same presentation to two different groups of children. Or you can have me do two different presentations to two different audiences. I am happy to do an extra Q&A session at no extra charge. View a menu of my presentations here.
WHAT I NEED
All my presentations require Powerpoint projection (I will let you know if I need sound output). I usually bring my own clicker and my laptop to connect to your equipment. If this is not possible, I also bring my presentation on a USB dongle. Sorry but I will not send you my presentation in advance.
CARE AND FEEDING
If I am driving to your school, please reserve a parking space for me. Remind me to go to the loo! In the heat of the moment, I often forget. If the event overlaps with mealtimes, let me know if you can provide my meal or if I need to bring my own.
I totally understand that it is often difficult for teachers/ librarians to organise book sales. But if there is any appetite for it, I am very happy to sign and dedicate any books sold.
I love to have photos with my readers though of course I understand that safeguarding means that it will not be possible for some. It is wonderful though when teachers arrange photo permissions in advance so that we can have a memento of the visit!
how to make my virtual visit a SUCCESS
• Do let me know in advance what the conferencing platform is so that I can prepare.
• A quick practice before the virtual event will be much appreciated!
• Please set up so that I can see the children. If safeguarding means the audience video is off, please can members of staff be onscreen to make it easier for me to present.
• Please make sure I can hear the children when they ask questions. Or perhaps a teacher can relay the questions to me.
• If I am speaking to multiple classes in different classrooms, please make sure that each window displays the name of the class
• Please can the adult in charge of the children be visible to me so that they can help me call on children
• If you can, do read even just a chapter of the book before my virtual visit.
• If the school purchases books, it would be good to distribute them to the children before my event.
Thank you! We're gonna have fun!